Monday, September 21, 2009

Cultural Faith

Many of us grew up in the religious faith of our parents. Many times that faith was part of a particular cultural group. I am Hispanic and our family were Catholics, which was the tradition passed on through many generations.

But even though I grew up with strong religious ties, I came to realize that my faith in God could not be absorbed by osmosis. It could never be based on the faith of my parents or grandparents or beyond. God will never accept me because of what my parents did or because of their genetic makeup or because I was born into a faith by birth. I can only be accepted in the eyes of God through the personal commitment I make with Him.

I am the one who needs to accept Jesus' death on the cross for the forgiveness of my sins. It is my decision to accept Jesus as my Lord and Savior that will determine if I enter heaven or not. No one else can give me access to God's promise of eternal life.

Do you think you are saved because of the cultural faith you have? God wants a personal relationship with you. Your family crest or family faith doesn't qualify you. Why don't you let the Lord enter your heart so you can enter into heaven?

No comments: