Friday, December 11, 2009

Making Time for Friends

Although this is a busy time of year with Christmas just around the corner, I have set aside a few days to get together with friends I don't always get a chance to spend time with.

Friendships are a gift from God. He knows we need fellowship with others, particularly believers who we can share in the joys of the Lord and encourage each other in life's trials. But today's lifestyle is hectic. We are so busy that if we aren't careful, we can be in danger of isolating ourselves; something which the Bible discourages.

It isn't too difficult to reach out and maintain our friendships. I try to e-mail my friends every so often to say a quick "Hi" and to see how they're doing. I've also sent Scripture texts to encourage, or left voicemails to let them know I'm praying for them. I also try to arrange a get-together, even if it's to meet for coffee/tea and muffins for a half-hour or so on a weekday morning after the kids have been dropped off at school.

I cherish the friends the Lord has given me. And just as the Lord calls us to be good stewards in life, I feel it's vital to be good stewards in our friendships, too. How are you making time for your friends?

No comments: