Friday, August 21, 2009

Homework Woes

My high schooler came home the other day inundated with homework. He kept moaning and groaning about how tough his teachers were, and how it was so unfair that they gave him all this work with what little time available to study after school.

I don't think he liked my response. You see, I've been there, done that. I had tough teachers in high school (and college) with piles of work that seemed endless. But I got through because I dug in and persevered.

So, although I can sympathize, I'm not going to baby his responsibility. But I did give him this advice: First, pray. Ask God to change your attitude. The more you complain, the harder it will be regardless of the number of pages or problems. Two, organize your work. Get rid of the easy stuff, then tackle the harder areas. At least you'll feel like you're accomplishing something. Third, come up for air now and again. Taking a short break will help keep you fresh and awake to get the job done. And finally, never pull an all-nighter. Nothing is worth losing your sleep over. A student needs his rest. It's better to get some sleep and then get up early to finish what hasn't been completed. Then you'll be refreshed with, hopefully, better ideas.

I'm hoping to show my son that homework is not the end of the world. It will teach him discipline, organization, and perseverance. I just hope he learns soon.


No comments: