Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Expecting Perfection

You know you are in need of a pedicure when you've layered over the old polish enough times that when it chips, your real toe shines through. So I decided yesterday to take advantage of a summer special at the local salon and get a pedicure.

The last time I was at this particular place the pedicurist did an excellent job. I had spent a leisurely hour getting pampered and my nails looked great. This time I had a new girl, and I was out in thirty minutes. The job looked good, but when I inspected my feet a bit later, I found the big toes were a little bumpy.

Now, unless you bend down and deliberately look at my toes, most people will miss the faux pas. But I know there's a problem. I expected perfection, but got imperfection.

Yet, that is to be expected out of life. We will never attain perfection, no matter how hard we try. We can get pretty close (I've had some great pedicures in the past), but ultimately we will be dealing with human error until we die.

That's why we can never take the credit for getting ourselves into heaven. We are too imperfect. Our sins (and that includes speeding on the highway, telling little white lies, etc.) keep us out. That's why we need Jesus. He is perfect because He is God; and when we accept Him, He covers us with His holiness and we can pass into heaven when we die.

So, don't expect to let your imperfections give you the key to heaven. Turn to Jesus, the Perfect One. Trust in Him, and He will hold the door open for you.

No comments: