Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Full Length View

I dread clothes shopping. It's not because of long lines or high prices; I know a few bargain places where I can find clothes at decent prices with quick lines. I dread buying clothes because I have to look in the mirror to try on the articles I wish to purchase.

It's no secret. I'm in my mid-forties. I no longer have the nice figure I had twenty years ago, way before my four children. But gravity and age seems to be ganging up on me lately. I gave a heavy sigh when I had to try on some capris the other day, and it wasn't because I was struggling to pull the pants on, either. It was because of the image I saw reflecting back at me.

Now, I know that the outside isn't the most important feature of a person. The inside is what counts. But sometimes it would be nice if the two would match up more often, especially as we age.

Thankfully God only will judge me for the inside. To Him I am beautiful because I am His child. And, I have a new body to look forward to in Heaven that won't sag in all the wrong places. So, I say, let's stop looking in those full length mirrors, and let's start seeing ourselves the way God sees us: as the apple of His eye (Psalm 17:8).

No comments: