Monday, April 6, 2009

Easter is Coming

Easter is just six days away. I used to love going on Easter egg hunts when I was a kid. Memories of running around looking for the dyed eggs come flooding into my mind. For weeks afterward, I'd ask my mother for an Easter egg for breakfast instead of referring to them as hardboiled eggs (of course, she made fresh eggs; the ones from Easter had long been thrown away).

Even as a young child, I had an idea of the main reason for all the celebration: the resurrection of Jesus from the dead. But I didn't truly understand the significance until I was much older. I didn't quite realize that it was not just Jesus' death on the cross that was of major importance, it was also the fact that His resurrection made it possible for us to go to Heaven when we die.

Easter is a great time for family get-togethers: for ham and fried chicken; for Easter egg hunts and chocolate candies; for Peeps and jelly beans. But we must never forget that it's all about Jesus, whose death and resurrection opened up the pathway to Heaven.

No comments: