Wednesday, April 7, 2010

True Sight

I've needed reading glasses ever since I was in 7th grade. I was such an avid and voracious reader, and I read in all kinds of lighting conditions, that I'm sure I strained my eyes. As I age, I notice that my vision is getting worse, especially in low-light situations. You should see me reading labels in the market! I rarely think to bring my glasses in the daytime, and the supermarkets don't have the best light, so I have a difficult time reading that small print.

There are many times when I refuse to wear my glasses because I don't want to feel as if I "need" them. Such stubbornness. Of course, I wear them at the computer and at night when I drive, but I rarely take them to my writers' group or at a talk or book signing (well, actually, I do take them -- I just don't wear them). I know I'll have to come to terms with this soon. I don't want to make my eyes any worse than they already are.

Sometimes people are this stubborn when it comes to their relationship with God. They want to do things their way, trying to evaluate life through their own eyes, instead of looking at it through the sharpness and perfection of God's vision. But that's not true sight, is it? Since life is God's creation, then we, as His creations, need to look at life His way.

Are you looking at life with blurred vision? Be honest with God. Acknowledge that you need some optical help, and then He can start giving you true sight so you can better see the world.

No comments: