Monday, April 19, 2010

From Just a Seed

I spent a few hours this past Friday trimming our overgrown tomato plant. What I find amazing is that I started this plant a year ago from seed. I never thought we'd have such a hardy plant. It had sprouted well, but when I transplanted it to a bigger pot, it didn't flourish. I worked again and again, trying everything from digging around the soil to watching my watering techniques. But even though the plant was alive, it wasn't growing.

Next, I replanted it into a much bigger pot. It grew some more, but I had no tomatoes growing. Finally, out of desperation, I planted it in my backyard, paying my son to faithfully water it every day. Now I saw growth. Flowers began to form, and eventually we had some wonderful tomatoes. When winter hit, and we had our chilly (for California) nights, I thought the plant would die. But no! Up until January we had homegrown tomatoes.

I hadn't trimmed my plant until the other day. But I had watched it spring forth and grow beyond all comprehension. Isn't that like faith? It starts small, but if it's nurtured, watered, trimmed, and cared for, it will grow abundantly. It will produce wonderful fruit that others can enjoy, even when one would not think it would.

So don't hesitate to share your faith. You may be planting a little seed that will eventually grow into beautiful fruit.

No comments: