Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Hope

It was a bit discouraging when only one of my corn seeds grew. I think the heat wave we had after my initial planting did the seeds in. But since it had been several weeks with no activity, I decided to replant. I took the hoe and re-furrowed my rows, giving them a bit more width. Then I added new corn, carrot, and Italian squash seeds. That was on Monday.

When I went to water my garden yesterday, I noticed that there was a bit of green sprouting from one of my corn hills. It was too early for the new seeds; so it had to have been from the old planting. What I had thought was dead, suddenly had new life.

Isn't that like us sometimes to give up before we should? Even though it had been well over a month of waiting, I had given up. The normal gestation period for that type of corn was two weeks at the latest. I had well passed that timeline. So no one could blame me for wanting to start over. But yet, here was new life; new growth.

Thankfully, Jesus doesn't give up on us. He waits patiently for growth, tending to us with diligence and love and care. He carefully waters us with His Word so we can be nourished and strengthened.

Don't give up on yourself. There is always hope. Just ask the Lord to be your gardener, and then wait for new growth to begin.

No comments: